– A zippered rucksack (backpack).
– A warm pullover or lightweight fleece.
– A windproof/waterproof jacket.
– Walking boots or shoes.
– Long-sleeved shirt and long trousers.
– Sunglasses and sun hat.
– Sunscreen, lip balm, insect repellent.
– Swiss army knife.
– Camera and binoculars.
– Film for your camera.
– Flashlight and compass.
– Guide books and travel literature.
– Light reading.
– Mobile phone charger.
– Your own snorkelling mask.
The Safari Medical Kit
– Anti-malarial prophylactics.
– Aspirin or Paracetamol for pain or fever.
– Anti-histamine for allergies, insect bites or stings, and to prevent motion sickness.
– Cold or flu tablets and throat lozenges.
– Diarrhea blockers (note these should not be used for children and only under desperate circumstances for adults).
– Oral re-hydration solution for diarrhea and sunstroke.
– Insect repellent, sunscreen lip balm and eye drops.
– Calamine lotion, sting relief spray or Aloe Vera to ease sunburn, insect bites or stings. Antiseptic, for cuts and grazes.
– Alcohol swabs to clean minor wounds, bandages and sticking plasters.
– Water purification tablets.
– Scissors and tweezers, kit containing syringes and needles.